The seasons are changing and that means a new school year is on the horizon.
During the school year, my sweet kiddos will be out of bed before the sun comes up and their bellies need to be nice and full when they head out the door. Rolled oats soak up milk overnight in your refrigerator, giving them a plump, tender texture much like their boiled counterparts, without all the cooking!
It’s been my saving grace on busy mornings and I want to share it with all of you! The best part about it? Well, there are several, but my favorite is that it’s fun, tasty, and full of healthy nutrients to keep kids fueled until lunch time!
This recipe makes 4 - 1/2 cup servings. Increase or decrease as you like, just remember it’s equal parts oatmeal to liquid and 1/4 part Chia seed.
- 2 cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 2 cups Milk (Cows, Almond, Coconut, Cashew, etc.)
- 1/2 cups Chia seeds for a puddling like texture! - Optional
- Your favorite oatmeal toppings
- This recipe is very basic, but the topping combos are limitless; use the ones you and your family LOVE. Some of our favorites are:
- Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- Nuts (walnuts, pecans, sliced or chopped almonds, etc.)
- Peanut Butter (or Almond butter, etc.)
- Raisins, craisins or currents
- Chocolate Chips (carob, vanilla, etc.)
- In a medium sized bowl, add 2 cups oats to 2 cups milk or milk substitute and 1/2 cup Chia seeds (if desired). Combine well. (Chia seeds can also be added to the mix for their nutritional benefit and to create a more “pudding like” consistency.}
- Transfer mixture into 4 individual serving-sized glasses or jars. Leave plenty of room at the top for the toppings!
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
The Next Morning… You can be as creative as your cravings! Fruit, nuts, chocolate, you name it! Put out the toppings, hand each child their oats, and let the delicious, creative process take place! In Casa Delilah, we love these combos:
Strawberries, Bananas, & Honey
Peanut Butter, Banana & Chocolate Chips
S’mores!: Peanut Butter, Mini-Marshmallows (just a few!) & Chocolate Chips!
My kids love helping me to make this in the evening and are excited to see the transformation from dry boring oats the night before to delicious and creamy oatmeal the next morning. By giving them topping options, everyone gets exactly what they want! It’s fun, nutritious, and a great alternative to sugary cereals, with fiber, protein, healthy fats, and just a touch of yum to satisfy that sweet tooth!
I hope you and your family enjoy this easy and healthful breakfast treat as much as we do!